28 January 2011

Headingley Writing Sets

This project came from a year long exploration of experimental travel and that of personal and emotional map making. In this piece of work I wanted to explore the relationship with the environment around us and how we direct people in an unknown environment. I posed as a tourist in an area where I live; in doing this I asked the public directions in order to get to a certain place within the city. Directions can easily be given on a map, however in reality we rely on landmarks or mental images in order to navigate ourselves around the real world. I therefore decided to start experimenting with dissecting maps of the local area; cutting out the parts of the map that were given to me through word of mouth. I then included the said direction, embossed on a piece of writing paper within the set. In doing this I hoped to juggle the uses of cartography and spoken word. Questioning if both can work side by side. I felt by making a writing set out of the images and information I could create a product that was both personal to the people of the area; in that they would most probably understand the written directions and landmarks of the local area. As well as being informative to the people who receive the message or letter sent to them.

This piece of work also got shortlisted in the Graphic Design catergory for the Northern Design Competition 2010.





No comments:

Post a Comment